Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

To: osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:46:20 -0700

Antoine Bouchard wrote:

>>From: "Peter Schaefer":
>>Cheap buildings with a high maintenance but a high bonus multiplier
>>would do the trick too - no magic rules needed
>
> Although smallpoxers usually don't build buildings, having them cheap makes
> them more easily accessible to them.
>
> High maintenance makes the largepoxers spend a lot on buildings per turn
> While smallpoxers will always generate more trade, hence have more money.
> High maintenance tax the ones who have the less money. High bonus
> multipliers need to first cancel out the high maintenance cost.
>
> No matter how I see this smallpox always wins.

That's not really true.  Smallpox may generate more overall trade
(though in 2.1 I think it doesn't) but it generates much lower trade
*per city*.  So smallpoxers can't afford to upkeep many buildings.

However just by changing buildings like this we may end up where a mixed
strategy is clearly best: mostly smallpox with a few well-picked sites
for large cities.  (This is also the end result of the
notradesize/fulltradesize settings.)

-jason