Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

To: osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:04:00 -0700

Well, maybe cities just need a little nudge in the right direction to
get bigger.
Even size 8 cities as the optimal size to aim for would have a similar
effect as mincitydist 3, since a spacing of 2 would already be too
close.

Also, even a single building with a high maintenance(2,3,..) that is
still attractive to someone playing smallpox, because of low cost to
build, will cause the player to want to make this city grow even more.
Unfortunately, as one can see in my favorite analysis,
http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?p=6448#6448, the library and
the marketplace cannot be effective at the same time, so a game
following the curve: 80% research, then 80% tax, makes it somewhat,
uhm, risky to build any building of that kind. Which kind of makes me
wonder what the effect of a higher multiplier when rushing production
would be.

This reasoning - low cost to build, high maintenance, speeds up the
game instead of slowing it down like other smallpox punishments - is
what lead me to design the smithy as:
Smithy  -maintenance: -3  bonus:50% cost to build: 20
Of course people will juggle with this to make the city grow to some
size 6-8 and then stop, but hey, one can't have it all
Smithy might become available with bronze working or maybe iron
working(too late?), which would in turn increase a little the
defensive options available to a city against sails+horsemen

I really don't want to get rid of smallpox, I just want to bring the
larger pox style closer to smallpox to have a chance of success.