Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

To: osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Benoit Hudson" <benoit.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:39:20 -0700

On 9/4/05, Antoine Bouchard <osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree that giving free food out of the blue might not be great. And i
> have
> refined the approach. Here is a new patch (still against 2.0.5) that has
> server settings included to fine tune. By default, it gives 2.5% X (pop
> over
> 12) bonus to food, trade, and shield.

The game-balance reason to fear adding to food is that you could get runaway
population growth. If a city produces 80 food, an extra population point
produces 2 food, which produces an extra population point (in one turn under
democracy), ... Under the default game settings, I've once or twice created
such a behemoth. With non-default rulesets, you could trigger this fairly
easily.

-- Benoît