Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Antoine Bouchard" <osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:11:17 -0700

>From: "Peter Schaefer":
>Cheap buildings with a high maintenance but a high bonus multiplier
>would do the trick too - no magic rules needed

Although smallpoxers usually don't build buildings, having them cheap makes
them more easily accessible to them.

High maintenance makes the largepoxers spend a lot on buildings per turn
While smallpoxers will always generate more trade, hence have more money.
High maintenance tax the ones who have the less money. High bonus
multipliers need to first cancel out the high maintenance cost.

No matter how I see this smallpox always wins.

>On 9/4/05, Benoit Hudson <benoit.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I kind of like the idea, although I'm a bit leery about shields and
> > especially food popping out from nowhere, and I'm not convinced that the
> > threshhold of 16 is particularly well chosen (16 is pretty large
>already, as
> > has been mentioned). How about just a bonus to trade: n% or 2n% added to
>the
> > base trade (before caravans/corruption). Two size 10 cities would get
>10%
> > bonus trade, 1 size 20 would get 20% bonus (or 20/40, or whatever).

I agree that giving free food out of the blue might not be great. And i have
refined the approach. Here is a new patch (still against 2.0.5) that has
server settings included to fine tune. By default, it gives 2.5% X (pop over
12) bonus to food, trade, and shield.

so now (with default settings) a size 16 gets 10% bonus before trade routes
and before food consumption by pop to all 3 stats.

If you prefer the simpler example (a size 10 gets a 10% bonus, size 20 gets
20%) set lcthreshold to 0 and lcbonus to 2.

If you hate this idea to death, set lcbonus to 0.

> > If we do anything like this, the AI needs to learn about these bonuses
>and
> > take account of them when evaluating city placement and the worth of
> > irrigation. Right now, the AI pretty much just plays smallpox.

Hmmmm. I am affraid of looking at the AI code... Looks scary. Well, i guess
that before trying to convince the AI, we should convince other players...

Thanx all for taking the time to look at this.

Cheers,
Antoine

1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife http://lavalife.com.au