Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

To: osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:08:13 -0700

adding a bonus from nowhere just means patching the game ..

I like the 2 pop per settler cost idea, it can be adapted to bigger cities:

currently the population of a city matches about the sum of food spent
in growing/foodboxsize,
or (size*(size+1))/2
that is:
size food-spent pop
1     0              1'
2     1              3'
3     3              6'
4     6             10'
5    10            15'
6    15            21'

Now if a settler built did not use 1 size, but 5' pop, a city would
have to be size 3 to build one, and would lose two size, while a city
of size 5 would lose just one size.

This concept would eventually call for the abandonment of the food box
in favor of tracking the population directly, so that a city of size
21' would have 16' after building a settler.

Of course all this still doesn't make sense fully from the point of
view of pop yet, only from workers. Also, one would need a way to
disband a size 1 city.

Since expansion would be slower, for the game to be fun the food
use/pop(or pop/worker=cizy size) would have to be made smaller than
usually.