Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal

To: sds@xxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal
From: Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:02:37 +0000 (GMT)

--- Sam Steingold <sds@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an
> article
> that has been posted to gmane.games.freeciv.general
> as well.
>
> > * Fishpark
> <svfucnex77-/R1597nF9YG10KfqgQ+bdN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> [2006-01-13 09:51:03 +0000]:
> >
> >> "attach"?
> >> what do you mean?
> >
> > lol that was meant to read 'attack'. You knew what
> I meant, of course,
> I did not.
>
> > it's an old wish to be able to attack river cities
> by moving ships
> > down or up the river.
> I don't think this is a reasonable wish.

Me neither. Luckily no-one has reopened that one, so I
guess all agree to use canals as terrain modifiers and
nothing more.

> >> why?  Communism is good at inefficiently
> mobilizing resources for
> >> extensive projects.  Communism is bad for
> anything that cannot be
> >> sped-up by doubling the manpower.
> >
> > That's exactly what I had in mind - to be able to
> build large projects
> > quicker with Communism. Of course, the
> implementation (needing less
> > resources/turns) would be incorrect but it's the
> effect that
> > counts. It would help raise the Communism
> government to something
> > useful - at the moment it's something you don't
> ever use unless you
> > are in real dire straits.  Perhaps
> buildings/wonders should be
> > classified by their labour intensity so that you
> can quickly build
> > cathedrals or space structurals using communism
> but not, for example,
> > recycling centers or space modules?
>
> if you give Communism the benefit of fast large
> projects, then you must
> disallow cathedral/temple construction under
> Communism, and add a
> production penalty (in addition to the current
> trade/research penalty).

It makes sense to disallow Cathedral and Temple
construction under Communism. Existing ones are to be
sold the moment you switch to Communism. This means
that switching governments (at least
Communism<-->Non-Communism) requires a considerable
sacrifice, and I like this. Rapidly switching
government types for the sake of a few turns' peace of
mind is hereby made impossible. Similar schemes would
have to be applied to Despotism and Monarchy, I
gues... But again, this is off-topic here.