Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal

To: sds@xxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal
From: Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:52:27 +0000 (GMT)

I don't care much for the canal improvement because I
fear it will open the old argument of 'I should be
able to sail a frigate into a river (canal) and attach
a city'.

But I do like the idea of Communism enabling quick
building of 'grand works' such as those canals, but
also fortresses, artificial islands (terraform while
on a ship, currently very expensive), or even wonders,
and definitelty spaceship structurals, components and
modules.

Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Peter Schaefer <crgre.fpunrsre@xxxxxxxxx>
[2006-01-11 23:40:39 +0100]:

>> I have a feeling that having one of these
enhancements would be cool,
>> but not the combination "irrigation from a canal
connected only to the
>> ocean should be impossible too."  this makes
complete sense in the
>> real world, but is a nightmare to handle.
>
> -- fine, as long as I can dig a canal!
>
> as for "nightmare to handle", how about making
digging canals easier
> under communism? :-)
> (Canal digging was the first place where the Soviets
massively used
> prisoner labor)
>
>> On 1/10/06, Sam Steingold <sds@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> it would be nice to be able to add a river to a
tile.
>>> it may require an engineer, a nearby water (like
irrigation)
>>> and take a lot of time (~ terraform?) but
>>> turning a forest+railway from 1/3/0 into 1/3/2
would be nice.

>>> BTW, irrigation of a tile with a river should be
cheaper than irrigation
>>> from a nearby tile.
>>> BTW, irrigation from the ocean should be
impossible without some
>>> desalination tech.
>>> BTW, irrigation from a canal connected only to the
ocean should be