Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal

To: Nevin Hotson <nevin.hotson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, sds@xxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal
From: Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:33:15 +0000 (GMT)

--- Nevin Hotson <nevin.hotson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >There would have to be good justification for a
> change like this.  What
> >gameplay benefit would having canals provide?
> >
> >-jason
> >

> It can be really annoying to have a huge peninsula,
> or continent
> (Denmark, South America, Africa) to go around when
> you could just change
> two squares to canal. Depending on how large the
> detour was, you could
> halve the time for reinforcements to reach the enemy
> (always a good thing).

This can almost always be solved by building a city on
a square that has access to both sides of the
peninsula/island.

I have even built cities like that in enemy territory
so that I could harrass the land and the seas around
it.

This only works when you have such an access point of
course. It doesn't work in Denmark, for instance, on
the Europe map.