[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ed Hunter <ed.hunter@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers
From: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:19:08 +0200

Ed Hunter wrote:

> Teemu Kurppa wrote:
>
> >>common/map.h contains:
> >>struct map_position {
> >>  int x,y;
> >>};
> >
> > Ok, I'll change patch to use that. Can I introduce type
>
> Would not it limit their future use?

Can you give an example ? Do you mean that it would be better to
introduce directly a tile marker type and list for that although there's
yet no other attributes than x,y? If someone someday continues this
work, it isn't that hard to modify (which may mean delete old and
introduce new) data structures for their needs.

I personally prefer small steps, even if that means that future
directions are sometimes overlooked. It keeps code clear. Implementing
something for the future use usually just adds code bloat. It can make
code more difficult to modify, if we don't think the future uses
carefully. And if put our scarce resources for thinking, why don't we
implement the ideas same time ? But this is just my personal opinion.

Friendly,
Teemu Kurppa