[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers
From: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:05:10 +0200

"Per I. Mathisen" wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> > Yes, several colors are needed. I also think there's no need to
> > introduce more than 3-4, people don't use them. I think they probably
> > use one for personal markers (city placement etc.), and one-two for
> > communication.
>
> I don't get it. Why are colours needed?

To find important markers more quickly. For example, I have played some
civserver games with marker patch, and I have used _a lot of markers_ to
plan future city placement. When I have time, I can think city
placement, and it's easy to use GoTo to nearest marker when under attack
and no time think settler movement.

I think we can use colors, or have different type of marker to
distinguish city placement markers from (numbered) markers for player
communication.

> > >   - numbered, independently for each color
> > Ack.
>
> Numbering is a lot more sensible. I'd like, for example, to have hotkeys
> CTRL-F1 thru F12 to quickly move the map between such markers (like in
> Starcraft:).

This a great idea. Really useful.

> > >   - all the markers would be visible thru shared vision
> > This is debatable. If you are playing very clever backstabbing strategy,
> > you don't want to show all of your markers to all your "friends".
>
> I don't really see the problem with having markers visible to allies.
> Backstabbing allies is bad, and should be discouraged anyway.

No, no, no. Backstabbing is fun ! One of the great enjoyments between
good friends. If someone gets more than temporarily pissed off of being
backstabbed, he shouldn't play multiplayer games. In many strategy board
games, the timing of backstab is the essence of the game...

> However, the best solution is to have two different markers: One that is
> only visible to you, one that is shared between allies (one ally sets
> marker 5 at a spot, all his allies get the same marker on the same spot).
> For example CTRL-F1 thru F12 can be used for private markers and SHIFT-F1
> thru F12 can be used for allied markers.

12 markers for private markers is a way too less. But of course we can
think that there's only 12+12 numbered markers and the rest are
unnumbered.

Friendly,
Teemu