[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:03:15 +0100

Dear diary, on Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 12:39:37PM CET, I got a letter, where "Per
I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> > Yes, several colors are needed. I also think there's no need to introduce
> > more than 3-4, people don't use them. I think they probably use one for
> > personal markers (city placement etc.), and one-two for communication.
> I don't get it. Why are colours needed?
In order to be able to have separate markers for desired city locations,
checkpoints for offensives etc. Why I should remember that this number is for
city and this as a checkpoint for those four carriers full of stealth bombers?

> > >   - all the markers would be visible thru shared vision
> > This is debatable. If you are playing very clever backstabbing strategy,
> > you don't want to show all of your markers to all your "friends".
>
> I don't really see the problem with having markers visible to allies.
> Backstabbing allies is bad, and should be discouraged anyway.
alliance != shared vision

We discuss those two separately. I definitively may not want to make some
kinds of markers visible even to allies. Diplomacy is not fair play in the
real world, so why it should be in FreeCiv? If it will make more fun from
the game, why not allow it?

Ability to switch visibility of some colors in shared vision is different, and
I feel somewhat neutral in this. Server option comes on my mind ;).

> However, the best solution is to have two different markers: One that is
> only visible to you, one that is shared between allies (one ally sets
> marker 5 at a spot, all his allies get the same marker on the same spot).
> For example CTRL-F1 thru F12 can be used for private markers and SHIFT-F1
> thru F12 can be used for allied markers.
And you will differentiate them by color >:).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/