[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:39:37 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> Yes, several colors are needed. I also think there's no need to
> introduce more than 3-4, people don't use them. I think they probably
> use one for personal markers (city placement etc.), and one-two for
> communication.

I don't get it. Why are colours needed?

> >   - numbered, independently for each color
> Ack.

Numbering is a lot more sensible. I'd like, for example, to have hotkeys
CTRL-F1 thru F12 to quickly move the map between such markers (like in
Starcraft:).

> >   - all the markers would be visible thru shared vision
> This is debatable. If you are playing very clever backstabbing strategy,
> you don't want to show all of your markers to all your "friends".

I don't really see the problem with having markers visible to allies.
Backstabbing allies is bad, and should be discouraged anyway.

However, the best solution is to have two different markers: One that is
only visible to you, one that is shared between allies (one ally sets
marker 5 at a spot, all his allies get the same marker on the same spot).
For example CTRL-F1 thru F12 can be used for private markers and SHIFT-F1
thru F12 can be used for allied markers.

Yours,
Per

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert Einstein