[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: tile markers
From: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:27:13 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:

> Dear diary, on Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 11:18:38AM CET, I got a letter,
> where Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> > For example, in a private mail Ingo brought forward an idea that markers
> > could be numbered and then allies could communicate like "you attack from
> > the
> > location number 4 to west, while I start attacking from the location 1 and
> > 2.". I think this is a great idea, but we really need to think, how player
> > can instruct, which markers are shown to which players etc.
> It is. I would suggest for beggining:
>   - several colors, e.g. Red, Blue, Yellow (not Green as it wouldn't be well
>     visible)

Yes, several colors are needed. I also think there's no need to
introduce more than 3-4, people don't use them. I think they probably
use one for personal markers (city placement etc.), and one-two for
communication.

>   - numbered, independently for each color
Ack.

>   - all the markers would be visible thru shared vision
This is debatable. If you are playing very clever backstabbing strategy,
you don't want to show all of your markers to all your "friends".

>   - ability to switch visibility of each color to allies
Ack.

> > I haven't lately played games,  where diplomacy and communication between
> > players plays a big role. I'd like to, but, you know, civserver games are
> > civserver games...  So, I may not be the best person to think this further.
> Hmm, games I usually play are mostly diplomatic... and I think this would
> certainly
> help.

So are you willing to continue from where I leave ? Implementing and
testing of marker numbering and sharing may take some time, so I still
think my simple patch should be applied first.

Teemu Kurppa