Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:52:31 +0100

Jason Short wrote on Feb 09, 20:53 (-0800):

> My opinion on this is simply that because you can now choose the ruler
> of any nation (i.e., pick the AIs nations and rulers) there is no harm
> in removing an offensive or controversial ruler.  Anyone who wants to
> play with or against a particular ruler can simply configure that in
> pregame and enter the name manually.

I don't see the point in removing *any* ruler from the game. For reasons:

- 'offending' is b......t. I'm offended by this and by that. Actually,
sending a tank into a city and killing 90% of the people in it *is*
offending, isn't it?

- My picture from history is, that most leaders, in all times, did harm on
many people (including their own).

- Freeciv represents a little piece of history, and removing rulers is
somehow castrating it (or history). BTW, removing rulers from school books
is an attitude of states that want to keep their people unfree.

- Who wants to decide who is to removed or not? I'm sure I can come up with
some suggestions you don't like.

- Freeciv policy has been, to include all rulers with a certain level of
importance.

- Esp. Hitler is important to have, so that people never forget.

Regards,

Christian