Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:53:17 -0800

miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Again, where to stop? Nobody will cry for Hitler or Stalin... so what about
> Franco in spanish ruleset? Pinochet or Allende in the chilean one? Dubya
> in the american ruleset? Or, for that matter, Lincoln, since he was dispised
> in the south, and some people there still do? And there's Linus Torvalds in
> the finnish (he's opposed to the GPL 3.0! He's become eeeeevil!)...

Well, as to that, Linus Torvalds is not a ruler of the Finnish and he
should be removed.  He can be added to a fictional ruleset - the
Antarticans are already ruled by the Linux Penguin and we can send him
down there to join Tux.

> I vote that NEW tyrants to be added to the rulesets be subjected to scrutiny,
> but the ones already there should stay. Any removal to be granted opens up
> the door...

I don't really agree with that.  We should either be complete or not be
complete.  Whether someone happens to be in the ruleset already or has
been forgotten until now shouldn't be a consideration.

----

Now, on this topic, what about Stalin?  He has already been removed from
the Russian ruleset and added to the Soviet one.  How do we resolve this
with keeping Hitler in the German ruleset?  The Soviet Union was no less
the same as the Russian nation than nazi germany was part of historical
Germany.

-jason