Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Benedict Adamson" <badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:52:26 -0800

Graham Reeds wrote:
> My personal feeling is that since Stalin and Hitler were both (in)famous
> leaders of their respective countries then they should be selectable.

Likewise.

And more subtly, if we decide that SOME leaders are undesirable, where
would it end? Genghis Khan? William the Conqueror (I bet that surprised
you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harrying_of_the_North )? Many
pre-modern rulers would have used means repugnant to 20th and 21st
century Westerners. If we simply allow ALL famous rules, we avoid all
arguments about whether a particular ruler was or was not sufficiently
undesirable.