Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:37:48 -0800

On 2006-02-16, at 02.53, Jason Short wrote:

> miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Again, where to stop? Nobody will cry for Hitler or Stalin... so what
>> about
>> Franco in spanish ruleset? Pinochet or Allende in the chilean one?
>> Dubya
>> in the american ruleset? Or, for that matter, Lincoln, since he was
>> dispised
>> in the south, and some people there still do? And there's Linus
>> Torvalds in
>> the finnish (he's opposed to the GPL 3.0! He's become eeeeevil!)...
>
> Well, as to that, Linus Torvalds is not a ruler of the Finnish and he
> should be removed.  He can be added to a fictional ruleset - the
> Antarticans are already ruled by the Linux Penguin and we can send him
> down there to join Tux.

Personally I kind of appreciate the tongue-in-cheek Finnish nation. In
any case wouldn't it be overly harsh to banish him to the South Pole
just because of the GPL3 schism? ;-) He could IMHO still qualify as
supreme ruler of the mighty Copyleftist nation. Flag here:
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/signs_and_symbols/flags?page=2

While we're on the subject: AFAICN ruler 'Mortadelo' of the Spanish
nation is a comics character...

> Now, on this topic, what about Stalin?  He has already been removed
> from
> the Russian ruleset and added to the Soviet one.  How do we resolve
> this
> with keeping Hitler in the German ruleset?  The Soviet Union was no
> less
> the same as the Russian nation than nazi germany was part of historical
> Germany.
>
> -jason

Again, it was Egor's choice not to have any Russian leader from the
20th century. I just temporarily put Stalin in the Russian nation until
the Soviets were committed, because I knew how you feel about removing
content from the game.

-Daniel