Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:50:44 -0800

Jason Short wrote on Feb 10, 11:40 (-0800):

> Ahem.  My original suggestion in this ticket was to move Hitler into a
> separate nation (Imperial Germany, Daniel suggested) that will not
> normally be randomly chosen.

Putting him in the attic?

> My reasoning is that this has already been done with Stalin, and Hitler is
> a very comparable figure.  If you argue that the Soviet Union is not the
> same nation as Russia, then you can esily argue that the Nazi empire is
> not the same nation as modern or turn-of-the-century Germany.

If you want an Imperial Germany or a Nazi Germany (*shudder*) (which makes a
difference) as a historical (or fantasy?) nation for Freeciv, go on. There
is no reason or point to remove Hitler from the current nation, though,
since he is quite important for the history of today's Germany.

The same would probably apply to Stalin, being part of a historical Soviet
Union *and* of today's Russia as well. He's removed from Russia? Why?

'1991 Russia appeared on world map again', this sounds funny. Sounds like,
'Soviet Union, CPSU, Gulag, never been'. If russian ruleset claims to be
medieval and modern as well, it probably cannot exclude soviet history.

> As for removing leaders entirely, I have no strong opinion.  I don't
> really object to it, but I do agree with Vasco and Chris that
> remembering the past is much better then censoring it.

Thanks,

> -jason

Christian