Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:16:43 -0800

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 00:01 -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> On 2/10/06, Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What do you think about this?
>
> I am strongly against removing leaders for political correctness
> reasons.
>
> There were bloodthirsty tyrants galore in history. We are not
> doing anyone any favours by censoring those parts of history.
> If anything, this idea seems Orwellian to me.
>
> Also, once we go down the road of censoring, we will have
> trouble knowing when to stop. Different people often have
> different notions of which rulers were "evil".
>
> --
> Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa

I understand your concern. However the criteria is that a ruler's _own_
people _currently_ regards him/her as a criminal. If he/she subsequently
gain political renaissance we could put him/her back. History is always
reconstructing itself!

The bottom line is that we don't want to offend players unless
absolutely necessary...