Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:09:38 -0800

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 09:01 -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>
> > Stalin removed from Russian now when we have him in Soviet.
>
> People have often complained about having Stalin and Hitler in the game
> at all; in particular, the problem is that the AI may sometimes choose
> them automatically.  If I understand how the soviet nation works,
> however, random assignment will never give you this nation, right?
> Maybe a German civil-war nation should be created that contains hitler.
>   On the other hand, if that nation was Nazi-based then we'd just have a
> bigger controversy.  Is there any way to give a name and flag to this
> nation without being politically incorrect?

You mean like a "Third Reich" nation? My suggestion is that we make an
"Imperial Germany" nation instead (if any) spanning territories and
leaders from the Holy Roman Empire, empire of 1871-1918 and the Third
Reich. Then we'd have a place to 'put' Hitler without making the
controversial "Nazi nation".

For a flag, we could use the black-white-red tricolor that was
technically also the flag of Hitler's Germany for a few years. Or we
could try to recreate some old Holy Roman Empire flag.

> Since random assignment now works for humans too, we will be getting
> more complaints.  So what can we do to prevent Hitler from being
> randomly assigned?  We could simply remove him, although then players
> wishing to play against him (on a europe scenario, for instance) would
> have to enter his name by hand.
>
> -jason

I really don't care if he's there or not. But by removing him we risk
being flooded by requests to remove other unpopular leaders.

-Daniel