Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:09:33 -0800

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:52 +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Jason Short wrote on Feb 09, 20:53 (-0800):
> >
> > My opinion on this is simply that because you can now choose the ruler
> > of any nation (i.e., pick the AIs nations and rulers) there is no harm
> > in removing an offensive or controversial ruler.  Anyone who wants to
> > play with or against a particular ruler can simply configure that in
> > pregame and enter the name manually.
>
> I don't see the point in removing *any* ruler from the game. For reasons:
>
> - 'offending' is b......t. I'm offended by this and by that. Actually,
> sending a tank into a city and killing 90% of the people in it *is*
> offending, isn't it?
>
> - My picture from history is, that most leaders, in all times, did harm on
> many people (including their own).
>
> - Freeciv represents a little piece of history, and removing rulers is
> somehow castrating it (or history). BTW, removing rulers from school books
> is an attitude of states that want to keep their people unfree.
>
> - Who wants to decide who is to removed or not? I'm sure I can come up with
> some suggestions you don't like.
>
> - Freeciv policy has been, to include all rulers with a certain level of
> importance.
>
> - Esp. Hitler is important to have, so that people never forget.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

I think you're giving to much credit to Freeciv as an important piece of
Free World educational software. There's a slight importance gap between
Freeciv and history textbooks. ;-)

Anyways, maintainers have removed offensive rulers on demand before. For
example this
http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx/2000/11/msg00065.html.gz lead
to this
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/trunk/data/nation/lithuanian.ruleset?r2=3010&r1=2352