Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "miguel@xxxxxxxx" <miguel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:40:45 -0800

On 2/10/06, Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 00:01 -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> >
> > On 2/10/06, Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > What do you think about this?
> >
> > I am strongly against removing leaders for political correctness
> > reasons.
> >
> > There were bloodthirsty tyrants galore in history. We are not
> > doing anyone any favours by censoring those parts of history.
> > If anything, this idea seems Orwellian to me.
> >
> > Also, once we go down the road of censoring, we will have
> > trouble knowing when to stop. Different people often have
> > different notions of which rulers were "evil".
> >
> > --
> > Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
> >

> I understand your concern. However the criteria is that a ruler's _own_
> people _currently_ regards him/her as a criminal. If he/she subsequently
> gain political renaissance we could put him/her back. History is always
> reconstructing itself!
>
> The bottom line is that we don't want to offend players unless
> absolutely necessary...

Again, where to stop? Nobody will cry for Hitler or Stalin... so what about
Franco in spanish ruleset? Pinochet or Allende in the chilean one? Dubya
in the american ruleset? Or, for that matter, Lincoln, since he was dispised
in the south, and some people there still do? And there's Linus Torvalds in
the finnish (he's opposed to the GPL 3.0! He's become eeeeevil!)...

I vote that NEW tyrants to be added to the rulesets be subjected to scrutiny,
but the ones already there should stay. Any removal to be granted opens up
the door...

--
Miguel Farah
miguel@xxxxxxxx