Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Stalin, soviet.ruleset and other things [Was: Re: (PR#

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Stalin, soviet.ruleset and other things [Was: Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers]
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:50:06 -0800

Hello,

Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote on Feb 16, 00:51 (-0800):
> Jason Short <jdorje AT users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> <skip/>
> > Now, on this topic, what about Stalin?  He has already been removed from
> > the Russian ruleset and added to the Soviet one.  How do we resolve this
> > with keeping Hitler in the German ruleset?  The Soviet Union was no less
> > the same as the Russian nation than nazi germany was part of historical
> > Germany.
>
> 0. My wish was to add soviet nation, and I will strongly against removing it.
> (Yeah, I'm soviet ;) One of the reason is WW2 scenarios.

Soviet should stay, yes. What does 'transitional' mean?

> 1. Stalin was _moved_ from russian.ruleset to soviet.ruleset (There was
> no removing)
> 2. Stalin never was Russia ruler. But he was famous and popular Soviet ruler.
> 3. Juridically, Russian Empire, Soviet Union and Russian Federation are (and
> were) three different states.

Yes. Currently, russian.ruleset is flagged as modern *and* medieval. So,
this is a reference to a continuating russian identity which lasts from
medieval times to now. If we talk of a russian history here, then I think
Stalin is not an unimportant part of it.

Therefore I would just add it to the russian set and keep him in the soviet
one, too. This should be technically possible, not?

> 4. There were contradistinction* between Soviet Union and Russia in 20s-30s
> and between Russia and Soviet Union in 90s... Yes, Soviet Union is a part
> of Russian history. Yes, DDR is a part of German history.

Which is why Erich Honnecker is one of the leader names in german.ruleset.

Christian