Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15446) undesirable rulers
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:28:58 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote on Feb 10, 07:03 (-0800):

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > I am strongly against removing leaders for political correctness
> > reasons.
>
> You are against doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

How comes that political correctness is a goal of Freeciv developement?
We're making an interesting, challenging, teaching and funny game; being
political correct is rarely fun :(

> > There were bloodthirsty tyrants galore in history. We are not
> > doing anyone any favours by censoring those parts of history.
>
> We are not writing history, we are making a game. It is supposed to be
> fun. Encountering player names you find obnoxious may destroy the fun.

I'm quite sure some poeple find it fun to fight Hitler.

> > Also, once we go down the road of censoring, we will have
> > trouble knowing when to stop.
>
> If we have that much problem figuring out what to do in regards to leader
> names, we should remove leader names. Either we can trust our own
> discretion in this matter, or we should not do so at all.

It's not that complicated. We've had a long run to get a nearly complete and
valid set of leader names. Now that we have it, you want to remove names for
political correctness. And again, you can't stop with one name.

If you insist, make a --no-hitler option :} Or better, --censored

>   - Per

Christian