[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch
From: "Raahul Kumar via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 04:38:43 -0800

--- Davide Pagnin via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 12:52, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:
> > > You need a Civ 2 compatability option. Hah! See how it feels when you're
> on the receiving end ; ) .
> >
> > Sure. Just tell me
> >
> > 1) How?
> >
> > 2) What _is_ the civ2 incite cost algorithm?
> >
> [start quote]
> The cost for bribing an enemy city depends on a number of factors. The
> formula below contains all the details; it is taken from an
> alt.games.civ2 post by Daniël Proost:
>
>      Cost = ( ( enemy gold + 1000 ) / ( distance + 3 ) ) x citysize
>
> I am not sure which distance is meant in this formula. It is probably
> the distance between the city and its capital. However, the cost depends
> on the square your Diplomat or Spy bribes from. It often pays to try to
> bribe from different squares - I have observed the cost vary by as much
> as 20%. At any rate, the distance is also influenced by the following
> factors:

We *do* not want to replicate that stupidity! It will not matter even in Civ 2
mode which tile you bribe from. I am violently opposed to Davide's suggestion
here.

<snip>
>                              Spy is bribing
>                                                   -16%
>                         Veteran unit is bribing
>                                                   -33%
>
> [end quote]

Per, you really need to add the last two. Finally veteran status actually makes
a difference for spys. Communism will do slightly better as a result of this
change.

Aloha,
RK.

Someday, Weederman, we'll look back on all this and laugh... It will
probably be one of those deep, eerie ones that slowly builds to a
blood-curdling maniacal scream... but still it will be a laugh.
                -- Mister Boffo