[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch
From: "Davide Pagnin via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 04:23:41 -0800

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 12:52, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:
> > You need a Civ 2 compatability option. Hah! See how it feel when you're on
> > the
> > receiving end ; ) .
>
> Sure. Just tell me
>
> 1) How?
>
> 2) What _is_ the civ2 incite cost algorithm?

[start quote]
The cost for bribing an enemy city depends on a number of factors. The
formula below contains all the details; it is taken from an
alt.games.civ2 post by Daniël Proost:

     Cost = ( ( enemy gold + 1000 ) / ( distance + 3 ) ) x citysize

I am not sure which distance is meant in this formula. It is probably
the distance between the city and its capital. However, the cost depends
on the square your Diplomat or Spy bribes from. It often pays to try to
bribe from different squares - I have observed the cost vary by as much
as 20%. At any rate, the distance is also influenced by the following
factors:

                          Courthouse in city
                             half distance
                    Enemy government is Communism
                          max. distance is 10
                         Enemy has no palace
                             distance = 32

The following (cumulative) modifiers apply to the cost for bribing:

                            City in disorder
                                                  -50%
                            No units in city
                                                  -50%
                         City was yours before
                                                  -50%
                             Spy is bribing
                                                  -16%
                        Veteran unit is bribing
                                                  -33%

[end quote]

This is from civfanatic.com scroll of wisdom.
Some time ago I've checked it with my civ2 and found that it is quite
correct (in particular the distance depend on the side from which the
diplomat/spy enter the city, that is a very surprisingly/erroneous
thing). Anyway, I have tried mix of diplomat, diplomat+veteran, spy,
spy+veteran, and found things different from what is stated here.
I have to check again, because I don't remember well, but If I have to
say, I remember that diplomat+veteran work differently from what is
stated bye this table.