[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch
From: "Raahul Kumar via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 04:54:49 -0800

--- "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Raahul Kumar via RT wrote:
> > You need a Civ 2 compatability option. Hah! See how it feel when you're on
> the
> > receiving end ; ) .
>
> Sure. Just tell me
>
> 1) How?

I don't want Yet Another Server Option. And I'm unsure where that option should
go. Maybe a check for Civ 2 rules ? If Civ2style = True(government.ruleset),
then do whatever compat we need to do.

> 2) What _is_ the civ2 incite cost algorithm?
>
> > > +if (city_celebrating(pcity)) {
> > > +  cost *= 2;
> > > +}
> >
> > This is a bad idea. You should have return INCITE_IMPOSSIBLE_COST here.
> > It makes no sense. All the citizens are happy with your rule, yet they will
> > revolt for sufficient cash.
>
> It is a game balance issue: Otherwise unbribable governments become less
> important.
>
> But this is not important to me, I will be happy either way.

Ack. I think the extra effort required to make cities celebrate should be
rewarded. It is obviously ridiculous that there is no limit to bribing cities.

Also, F_UNBRIBEABLE is very good as is. Democracy is *TOO* strong rather than
too weak. It is the other gov types that need boosting.

> > I defy you to provide one real life example of this effect. No amount of
> cash will subvert a city unless there are people unhappy with the current
> regime.
>
> I defy you to provide one real life example of incite where the opinions
> of the citizens had any relevance whatsoever.

Good point. But leaders can only lead so far. If the citizens refuse to
co-operate, they can be overthrown. The mayor of Brisbane, Jim Soorley, can
hardly decide to join New Zealand just because they offer him a cash incentive
; ). Brisbanites would revolt against the mayor.

But if we were angry at the Australian government, he could do so.

>   - Per

Aloha,
RK.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and
kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
-Kahlil Gibran