[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2507) incite cost patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:25:49 -0800

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Davide Pagnin via RT wrote:
> 1. I would like this main incite rewrite to introduce the concept of
> "international incident". In civ1 and civ2, when you were peace with
> your opponent you were given the option of 'subverting the city' (not
> simply inciting it), that will cost twice the gold of inciting and will
> not give any reputation penalty to you, nor will end up in Democracy
> fall down cause to senate being overruled.
> NOTE: if you choose the 'subvert option' the opposite site has no 'GOOD
> REASON' for declare war to you, but this don't mean that the opposite
> site will not.

No. This is a separate feature and should be in a separate patch.
Especially since I don't like this feature at all.

> > +unit_list_iterate(map_get_tile(pcity->x,pcity->y)->units, punit) {
> > +  cost += unit_type(punit)->build_cost;
> > +} unit_list_iterate_end;
>
> I suggest a general variable here like
> present_unit_incite_cost
> it can be boolean or numeric, and will allow/not allow to count present
> in city units build cost in the incite cost.

I guess a multiplication factor would be better. Zero would disallow.

Same for buildings and wonders.

> > +/* Distance from capital */
> > +capital = find_palace(city_owner(pcity));
> > +if (capital) {
> > +  int tmp = map_distance(capital->x, capital->y, pcity->x, pcity->y);
> > +  dist = MIN(32, tmp);
>
> This definitely is a Magic number, we need instead a
> max_capital_distance_incite_cost
> ruleset variable

I've been thinking maybe this number should be derived from the size of
the map instead. Something like half the size of the longest of height and
width.

> This changes the current behavior of Courthouse, I would like that this
> is configurable as "courthouse effect", this means to let 2 for the
> moment or to wait gen-impr included in CVS.

If we don't, we'll have to take another discussion about this after
general effects. That is okay if you disagree with this change, but then
say so, don't hide behind gen effects.

> > +size = MAX(1, pcity->size
> > +              + pcity->ppl_happy[4]
> > +              - pcity->ppl_unhappy[4]
> > +              - pcity->ppl_angry[4] * 3);
>
> Those different weight for different class of citizen should be
> configurable by a ruleset variable.

I'm reluctant to add so many ruleset options, but if that is what it
takes...

  - Per