[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:38:10 +0100

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:45:00PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> A better solution is to have real-island-wide effects and
> player-island-wide effects.

Since there is no clear ground to argue which one is more "realistic"
I agree. There should be 4 island-wide effects:
 - "real" island, owner only
 - "real" island, all players (neutron bomb)
 - perceived island, owner only
 - perceived island, all players

The owner only/all players may also be used with other effect ranges
(for example world wide).

If traderoutes (there are no effects per se but this is ok here) are
in the perceived island category than the two cities may get a
different outcome from the traderoute. This is not bad per se but
requires coding (like all of the impr-gen). I think that we need to
add an option which control into which category the traderoute
fall. The other effects are handled by the impr-gen config files.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers