[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:37:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > > Interesting: should mere knowledge of geography or lack thereof be a
> > > deciding factor in whether an effect works?
> no, no. Say I have an island-wide effect which destroys all units (neutron
> bomb) Not realizing that two separate continents are in fact one continent
> should not deter the effect from destroying all the units on the "second"
> continent should it? Granted, this is not a problem with the current set of
> effects...

I don't think this is an issue with any effect that we are likely to add.
I would think that in every case, the very same reason why it is classed
as "continent-wide" will also suggest that the effect will only work
if/when people realize it is continent-wide. Eg Hoover Dam, if you don't
know it is on your continent, you can't draw power from it. If there is a
Castle Dread building which strikes the fear of evil into the hearts of
every city on the continent, then if you believe you are safe, then you
are... until you realize you are not.

So to answer your question: Yes, I think mere knowledge of geography
should be a deciding factor.

  - Per