[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:04:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ben Webb wrote:
> > But I feel that limiting the possibility that island-wide effect can
> > effect other players too, isn't much of flexibility.
>
> Well, it'd be fairlystraightforward to add new effect ranges or flags,
> but it sounds like it's rapidly becoming more complicated.

Exactly. I strongly urge people now to think hard about getting the
current effects and generalisations into cvs - finally! - instead of
arguing endlessly about scenarios and effects that are not likely to be
ever used.

As Ben says, we can add other types of ranges later that are not
"knowledge of geography"-limited if this turns out to be an actual
limitation. Which I doubt.

> impr-gen has unit effects now, by the way, although unit attacks are
> still hard-coded - i.e. you cannot give any unit a nuclear-type attack
> in this way yet. There's no reason why the code couldn't be added
> though.

I'd like to hear more about the performance impact of this. I suspect it
may be gross.

Also, teaching the AI to use impr-gen for units will be an enormous
undertaking.

  - Per