[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:30:01 -0600

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:37:31AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > no, no. Say I have an island-wide effect which destroys all units (neutron
> > bomb) Not realizing that two separate continents are in fact one continent
> > should not deter the effect from destroying all the units on the "second"
> > continent should it? Granted, this is not a problem with the current set of
> > effects...
>
> I don't think this is an issue with any effect that we are likely to add.
> I would think that in every case, the very same reason why it is classed
> as "continent-wide" will also suggest that the effect will only work
> if/when people realize it is continent-wide. Eg Hoover Dam, if you don't
> know it is on your continent, you can't draw power from it. If there is a
> Castle Dread building which strikes the fear of evil into the hearts of
> every city on the continent, then if you believe you are safe, then you
> are... until you realize you are not.
>
> So to answer your question: Yes, I think mere knowledge of geography
> should be a deciding factor.

Actually, I realized after I sent this, that island-wide effects (as
currently implemented) have less range than player-wide effects. What this
means is that if I build a improvement with island-wide range, Another
player's cities on the same island will NOT be affected by it. Other
players will only be affected by my global effects. I think this is the
right way to go about it and avoids all the nasty special cases.

(So your Castle Dread example would have to be a global effect)

-mike