[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 14:33:05 +0100

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 04:30, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > > no, no. Say I have an island-wide effect which destroys all units (neutron
> > > bomb) Not realizing that two separate continents are in fact one continent
> > > should not deter the effect from destroying all the units on the "second"
> > > continent should it? Granted, this is not a problem with the current set
> > > of
> > > effects...
> >
> > I don't think this is an issue with any effect that we are likely to add.
> > I would think that in every case, the very same reason why it is classed
> > as "continent-wide" will also suggest that the effect will only work
> > if/when people realize it is continent-wide. Eg Hoover Dam, if you don't
> > know it is on your continent, you can't draw power from it. If there is a
> > Castle Dread building which strikes the fear of evil into the hearts of
> > every city on the continent, then if you believe you are safe, then you
> > are... until you realize you are not.
> >
> > So to answer your question: Yes, I think mere knowledge of geography
> > should be a deciding factor.
>
> Actually, I realized after I sent this, that island-wide effects (as
> currently implemented) have less range than player-wide effects. What this
> means is that if I build a improvement with island-wide range, Another
> player's cities on the same island will NOT be affected by it. Other
> players will only be affected by my global effects. I think this is the
> right way to go about it and avoids all the nasty special cases.

This is the actual situation.
But I feel that limiting the possibility that island-wide effect can
effect other players too, isn't much of flexibility.

In the event we have, in the future, unit effects, I think that a
'neutron bomb' that can hit your city and destroy that city and kill
half the people of the whole island, will kill people on all cities in
the REAL continent, not the attacker perceived island!
(he should need to know all the cities in the island to have the job
done...)