[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:35:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:53:04PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > >
> > > Since there is no clear ground to argue which one is more "realistic"
> > > I agree. There should be 4 island-wide effects:
> > >  - "real" island, owner only
> > >  - "real" island, all players (neutron bomb)
> > >  - perceived island, owner only
> > >  - perceived island, all players
> >
> > Rephrase that as
> >  - any city on island
> >  - any city on island owned by building owner
> >  - any city on island as perceived by city owner
> >  - any city on island as perceived by building owner that is owned by
> >    building owner
> >
> > Which leaves a fifth possibility if you want completeness
> >  - any city on island as perceived by building owner
>
> The owner of a city is also the owner of any buildings in this city.

Effect "perceived island, all players" will breed all sorts of confusion,
including the above.  And I don't see any real applications for it, so I
would avoid it altogether.

Raimar, Per is pointing out the difference between "all players on the
island as perceived by the one who introduces the effect (building owner)"
and "all players who think they are on the same island with the
effect-producing building".

G.