[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 14:27:08 +0100

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 01:08, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> * Mike Kaufman (kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > Geography as a tech?
> >
> > no, no. Say I have an island-wide effect which destroys all units (neutron
> > bomb) Not realizing that two separate continents are in fact one continent
> > should not deter the effect from destroying all the units on the "second"
> > continent should it? Granted, this is not a problem with the current set of
> > effects...
> >
> > As I recall, weren't Hoover and JS Bach originally island-wide effects?
>
> Yes. But as for trade routes, it seems reasonable that the effect should
> be restricted to the known continent. Is it gets bigger, by discovery,
> then the effects should be applied to newly connected cities.

No, I disagree.

I think that some effects are 'client' side.
(Like Hoover Dam or JS Bach)
You, the owner, should know that they are on the same island, and thus
we can discuss if server should let us know this or not.

But in the case an effect is 'server' side, this should not be the case.
Imagine that we introduces earthquakes, and that an earthquake is island
wide, than the earthquake should hit every city in the 'real' island,
not what you perceive as the island.

Same, should apply, if someone uses a weapon against one of your cities,
and this weapon should hit all cities in that island.

(Such effects are not present at the moment, but it make sense to let
them being possible, IMHO)