[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:11:21 -0500

Mike Kaufman wrote:

scenario: player A know that his city and B's city are on the same continent. B doesn't know this. When the trade route is created, A
gets less trade than B does. A solution which I think is fine is that a
trade route will reveal the continent which the city is on. In that case,
when the trade route is created, ther server will inform B that A's city is
on the same continent. What should happen if neither know? Should they find
out or does the server act as is they are on separate continents. I prefer
the latter.

What "should" happen IMO is that when A makes a route to B in this case B is shown the actual path of the route, as seen by A. IOW B should see what A would call the minimum path between the two cities.

In the final case, I would agree that the latter is better. But if one of them does find out differently again the other should see the path.

Needless to say, this would not be fun (or elegant) to code. So it's probably not such a good idea.

jason