[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:14:39 +0000

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:04:58PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ben Webb wrote:
> > impr-gen has unit effects now, by the way, although unit attacks are
> > still hard-coded - i.e. you cannot give any unit a nuclear-type attack
> > in this way yet. There's no reason why the code couldn't be added
> > though.
> I'd like to hear more about the performance impact of this. I suspect it
> may be gross.

        I haven't run any speed tests, so couldn't say. However, the
current implementation only allows units to have effects that affect just
them (i.e. they have Unit-range). Effect interdependencies are also
prohibited, so they are not included in the update_all_effects loop. The
only performance hit is having to do an effect iteration during combat
to get attack/defence modifiers (i.e. impr-gen unit effects generalise
all that AEGIS/Horse/Pikemen nonsense, and allow for
shipbuster/torpedo/whatever effects to your heart's content) but
impr-gen does that already anyway.

> Also, teaching the AI to use impr-gen for units will be an enormous
> undertaking.

Probably easier than teaching it to use impr-gen for buildings though,
at least with the current code.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/