[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing

To: mike_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:18:57 -0600

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:35:47PM +0100, mike_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Let me add a few general questions about gameplay things I noticed:
> First, is it logical to allow diplomats and spies to bribe sea units
> when they are near the shore? Maybe this is a configurable option, I
> just cant image how this is carried out by them :).
> And second, when I unload a unit from a ship, only one movement point of
> them is taken. I bet this is configurable somewhere as well and it might
> even work as long as you play human opponents. Against the AI however it
> is deadly, since I can unload a spy, check (or even bribe) a city and
> get back to the relative safety onboard without the AI getting a chance
> to stop me (AI is only acting at the beginning and end of turn, aint it?
> ). It would be way harder to beat without this easy option to check,
> sabotage or even bribe its cities away (especially since it doesnt like
> democracies).

        No one has done an explicit study of disembarking behavior versus
Civ version.  Does it take all movement points, one movement point, the
appropriate movement points for the terrain type, etc.  Without knowing
this compatibility data, it's impossible to say whether we match
Civ1/Civ2/etc behavior or are doing something different.  (HINT)
        Theoretically, the (Freeciv-only) autoattack options should force
you to land a bodyguard before you land your diplomat.
        It is my beleif that Civ2 allowed you to bribe cities without
leaving the ship in the first place, so we're already more restrictive
there.  As you point out, this "restriction" may not mean anything to game
play, just requires more fiddling around by the player.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."