[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:24:42 +0100

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 02:35:55PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > > autoattack gets only executed once or twice per turn (.... checking ....
> > > actually once, just before end of turn)
> > > thus if the spy can finish his dirty business before the turn is over, he
> > > will escape unscathed.  I do not think it is unreasonable, spies want to
> > > live too.
> >
> > /me, as a non-ics player, would very much appreciate an (all time)
> > working autoattack feature. It would give me the chance to defend
> > my cities efectively rather than to loose them to the next lousy
> > part-time diplomat.
>
> I suspect it would be hard to implement (I wouldn't try it at home...)
> I also think that such autoattack would give you a 99% diplomat-proof
> cities which defeats the purpose of having diplomats.

It wouldn't.

- You will put an unit in autoattack under certain circumstances
  only. Maybe Dragoners but rarely Musketeers. The defense bonus is
  too valuable

- Diplomating will become harder but not impossible. Put a Musketeer
  in front of the city first, maybe on a hill ...

- Autoattack is risky.

- use 2 (ot more) diplomats

> > Right now autoattack is just pointless.
>
> It is broken but not pointless.

Ok, I've never tried it against AI till now.

> > BTW: How much increases a defending diplomat the price to buy
> > a city - does it at all?
>
> Now that's the right way to think.  I can't answer you question straight
> away but the defending diplomat scaling chance of success down and price
> up is a good "smooth" regulator on how deadly a diplomat with few coins in
> his pocket is.  Also buying cities is outrageously cheap in freeciv
> compared to civ2.

Diplomacy should be more limitable by server options.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/