[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:02:38 +0100

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:00:12PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > /me, as a non-ics player, would very much appreciate an (all time)
> > > working autoattack feature. It would give me the chance to defend
> > > my cities efectively rather than to loose them to the next lousy
> > > part-time diplomat.
> >
> > An all time working autoattack feature would change the game quite a bit.
> >
> > Where would you draw the line? Autoattacking units, but only inside
> > cities? If someone patched their client to use autoattacking units
> > _outside_ cities, would that be cheating? What was formerly obvious as
> > cheating becomes an undecisive gray area. We'd have to put autoattack for
> > all units at all times into the client then, to ensure that all players
> > are equal, and no-one with better patched clients win all the time.
> >
> > But perhaps that is the better solution. Add autoattack by hostile units
> > in as a standard server feature of unit movement, not have it as a feature
> > of cities. At least that way the possibility of cheating by autoattacks is
> > removed (a long time gaping cheating hole in freeciv).
> >
> > Anyone want me to write a patch that implements this? (As a server option,
> > naturally.)
>
> The server and protocol allows a player to attack a diplomat if the
> diplomat comes near your city. This may end in an arms race: defender
> uses patched client (an agent ;)), attacker (ab)uses GOTO, ...

The profs already do that :-( send dipl with goto and steal/buy
You have no chance for defense except a lot of dipls in the city :-((
(not even sure that several dipls add, though)

A working autoattack could help (and balance the game IMO), not only
against diplomats and spys but any form of sudden attacks (Cavalry e.g.).
Gives you time to build a defense.

> This is a delicate game issue and a problem which is currently
> exploitable.
>
>       Raimar

Christian

--