[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing

To: mike_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another freeciv testing
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:50:33 +0100

On 2002-03-07 22:35:47, mike_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I also did a little testing with the special freeciv sound enabled
> version. Forgive me that I am not writing this to freeciv-test, but I
> dont want to sub*scrib (doh, my first post was rejected cause I used the
> bad subscr.. word in the first few lines, should have known about that,
> sorry if you get this mail twice) to another mailing list, and what I
> have to say covers general issues anyways.
> I tried to continue a game I started with the latest freeciv cvs
> version, and thats just where the fun began. I tried to load it using
> the new connection dialog, but after player selection the client froze
> on me and told me "!@#$%^" (maybe it was cussing at me, i have no clue
> :) ). This is reproducible, actually any game that I tried to load using
> the connection dialog produced the same behaviour. If you load it using
> a manually started server, it works just fine and thats what I did then.

This problem has been reported by others aswell... I'm sure Daniel
Speyer would appreciate any additional debugging info you could
provide...

> Oh, almost forgot about another thing I noticed. The introduction sound
> sample is allright to listen to once, but I found it quite annoying to
> have it played over and over (but maybe thats just me).
> Not much else to say about the sound, it worked flawlessly for me,
> allthough I guess a little more samples seem to be needed (I know, I
> cant provide them either, so I wont complain).
> The connection dialog didnt work too well for me, as explained, but I
> like to see whats going on at the server side anyways and since one can
> still start the server the old fashioned way, thats not a biggy for me
> either.

But the "New Game" feature (and "Join Game" and "Quit Game")
worked - right?

> The new default tileset, well I guess thats a matter of taste and it
> sure doesnt meet mine, but hey, a lot of work has been done creating it
> and I sure appreciate that.

Well, I love it! :) (No, I'm not the one who created it :)

> Didnt get to test the "harder" AI mode, some later time maybe, but
> everything to make the AI more challenging sure helps.
> Let me add a few general questions about gameplay things I noticed:
> First, is it logical to allow diplomats and spies to bribe sea units
> when they are near the shore? Maybe this is a configurable option, I
> just cant image how this is carried out by them :).
> And second, when I unload a unit from a ship, only one movement point of
> them is taken. I bet this is configurable somewhere as well and it might
> even work as long as you play human opponents. Against the AI however it
> is deadly, since I can unload a spy, check (or even bribe) a city and
> get back to the relative safety onboard without the AI getting a chance
> to stop me (AI is only acting at the beginning and end of turn, aint it?
> ). It would be way harder to beat without this easy option to check,
> sabotage or even bribe its cities away (especially since it doesnt like
> democracies).
> Nevertheless I once again had great fun playing (allthough I only played
> against AI), thanks for the great work done...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)