Thanks for maintaining an excellent version of
In order to bring the windows version up to
tournement spec I have the following wish list items. I run www.historygamer.com and would seek to
use FreeCiv as our tournement version of Civ2 should the main points be
addresed. (I am using windows 2000 on all machines with voodoo g/cards by the
I write one email as suggested by Jason
"24 items might be a lot for the primary maintainers to sort and catalog.
So alternately, you can send a single e-mail containing the whole
, and we (all
the developers) can try to sort
things out from there."
So here goes - if any of these get done my sincere
thanks. Also please bear in mind I feel FreeCiv is the future of CIv2 - I
am not critising I just want to see the best version of civ2 get better! (and so
some things in my opinion should fall into line with Civ2
1. Sounds are desperately required. I know this is
coming, I mention it again here as revolts and building new wonders are being
missed (in our speed games)
2. Doesn't allways choose the same unit in city
build (if no production queue). Particularly frustrating when trying to build a
ton of caravans to finish that wonder quickly.
3. Settler/engineer functions. If not possible (i.e
irragate a river and no bridge building) then please have a pop up telling us.
It can waste 3 secs or so retrying before we figure it out. 3 secs is a lot in a
The start of turn meesage box with its go to
the city/map grid buttons is great! The following enhancements would make it
4. Even if a user closes it - can we get it back
please. Its a very useful tool for city management.
5. How about auto shrinking it once an itme has
been selected. That way we can look at the main screen, for enemy movements and
whittle down city maintenance.
6. An icon at the start of each line by type (i.e
revolt, new item, wonder built) would speed up recognition of whats just
7. Make more a
wonder being built. In our games each completion is a very significant event.
(20 points, you cant build it anymore plus notification that that player has
extra power). At least a global pop up box.
8. Happy unhappy people display. Not obvious
enough. Make the happy look and unhappy look more extream. I.e. the happy are
holding hand in light colours at the mo, the unhappy go a bit red and the really
unhappy black (am I right?). It wasn't easy to manage. Faces would be
9. Granary. How about a visual bar,
population growth is one of the most important things in Civ.
10. City display. Could we have the acutal
amounts in a bigger font. I am used to a quick glance that gives an
overview, at the moment its a bit of a squint.
11. After a govt collapse or a new govt is formed
the tax rates are set strangely, could we pop up here so the player
gets an instant review.
12. When a new
govt type is discovered Civ2 gives you the option to move into that govt
immiediatley. Please could we do the same.
13. Leonards is now a bit weak. I would prefer the
option to set it back to the original rule. The skilled player can get there
first with a minimal military, knowing that the upgrade (probably from phalanxes
to musketeers) is in the bag. Its a standard tactic.
14. Please stop explorers pillaging (they
can't in Civ2).
15. Barbarians. Could we have a message
saying theyve landed (pause) - then see there attacks on our cities. It all
happends too quickly at the moment.
16. Battles. I know sounds are on there way, but I
feel a small bit of animation and auto centering on the screen (as a
default) would make the whole thing more dramatic. I lost units quickly and
only found out via the start of turn pop up. Ok but not
17. AI cities. When moving near a city it
shows no units at home, when next to the city a flag pops up. Civ2 shows no
flag when there really are no units in the city. Makes opportunist
18. In the left hand side the terrain box is shown.
Could we show all terrain improvements like civ2? again this speeds up
recognition of whats happend when units occupy the tile. (Quicker than view
- remove units)
19. Output box ges all blurry from too
many character overwrites at the start of a new turn. (May just be a
20. Transports - do they get a movement of 10 in
the standard game? Seems excessive.
21. When viewing intelligence in an embassy, could
we show the cities (like civ2) - then we know how many more to
22. Selecting which item for a city to build
missfires from time to time, taking you to the bottom of the selection
list. Annoying when in a hurry.
Nice to have
23. I've allways fancied a forced march option. To
push your troops into an extra move, you can force march but it takes a
random (small) amount of hit points away. (Brings out the Napoleon in
24. Top cities. How are these calculated? In civ2
the city with the most wonders is top.
25. Map generator. If generating rivers of one
square, could we do it like Civ2? i.e. it looks obvious its small
rivers petering out quickly. As is its confusing when irrigating early
on in the game. (I.e. you can't and its not immediately obvious looking at the
Phew! Well thats all from me - you should get a
thorough testing of the program from my club. I hope you dont mind the
suggestions, we are all CIv addicts.