[Freeciv-Dev] Another freeciv testing

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Another freeciv testing
From: mike_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 22:35:47 +0100

Hi everyone,

I also did a little testing with the special freeciv sound enabled
version. Forgive me that I am not writing this to freeciv-test, but I
dont want to sub*scrib (doh, my first post was rejected cause I used the
bad subscr.. word in the first few lines, should have known about that,
sorry if you get this mail twice) to another mailing list, and what I
have to say covers general issues anyways.
I tried to continue a game I started with the latest freeciv cvs
version, and thats just where the fun began. I tried to load it using
the new connection dialog, but after player selection the client froze
on me and told me "!@#$%^" (maybe it was cussing at me, i have no clue
:) ). This is reproducible, actually any game that I tried to load using
the connection dialog produced the same behaviour. If you load it using
a manually started server, it works just fine and thats what I did then.
Oh, almost forgot about another thing I noticed. The introduction sound
sample is allright to listen to once, but I found it quite annoying to
have it played over and over (but maybe thats just me).
Not much else to say about the sound, it worked flawlessly for me,
allthough I guess a little more samples seem to be needed (I know, I
cant provide them either, so I wont complain).
The connection dialog didnt work too well for me, as explained, but I
like to see whats going on at the server side anyways and since one can
still start the server the old fashioned way, thats not a biggy for me
either.
The new default tileset, well I guess thats a matter of taste and it
sure doesnt meet mine, but hey, a lot of work has been done creating it
and I sure appreciate that.
Didnt get to test the "harder" AI mode, some later time maybe, but
everything to make the AI more challenging sure helps.
Let me add a few general questions about gameplay things I noticed:
First, is it logical to allow diplomats and spies to bribe sea units
when they are near the shore? Maybe this is a configurable option, I
just cant image how this is carried out by them :).
And second, when I unload a unit from a ship, only one movement point of
them is taken. I bet this is configurable somewhere as well and it might
even work as long as you play human opponents. Against the AI however it
is deadly, since I can unload a spy, check (or even bribe) a city and
get back to the relative safety onboard without the AI getting a chance
to stop me (AI is only acting at the beginning and end of turn, aint it?
). It would be way harder to beat without this easy option to check,
sabotage or even bribe its cities away (especially since it doesnt like
democracies).
Nevertheless I once again had great fun playing (allthough I only played
against AI), thanks for the great work done...

Michael