[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?

To: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:08:32 -0500

At 07:36 AM 01/12/05 -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 05:02:24AM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>>
>> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 02:46:15PM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>> One nice feature I would like to see in the code is AI cleanups.
>
>I thought about this one before I wrote my list. I agree that we need
>the cleanups. I just think that the goal to "cleanup the AI" is
>nebulous. When do you say that [not] enough cleanup has been done to release?
>
>As I said, I don't think all development on "side" projects should stop
>to focus on such a 1.12.1 goal list (that would be pretty silly). I
>assume that the goal of the AI cleanups is _not_ to change AI behavior
>yet --- just cleanup the code? If 1.12.1 comes out with crystal AI code,
>then more power to us, but if the cleanups are only "half-done", I don't
>think it should stop us from releasing...

It is not unreasonable for anyone with a specific AI update aka bugfix
to have it added to a list of candidates.

The list can be prioritized and a cutoff selected. The categories for
deciding the prioritization might prove an interesting discussion, but
it wouldn't be a bad idea to set an initial expectation of what is and
isn't useful, or what areas are considered most deficient.

This can be a general rule for anything not selected as a PRIME FEATURE.

BTW: only things that currently exist or are extensions of things that
     are in the works should really be considered without some exceptional
     reason.

>-mike

Cheers,
RossW