[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system
From: "Marc Strous" <marc_strous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 02:31:33 CEST

> ***we would allow only one unit on one square***.

i've been thinking about that one too. althugh i think one is too few, a limit of 5 or 6 would definately increase the effects of proper tactics (as opposed to simple numeric overweight) on the game, which i think is a good thing.

I'm
expecting strong objections, but I think this system would be better - and more realistic as well. In freeciv proportions, we are operating with divisions or maybe even bigger army groups. And you cannot have two armies on one place, one square - you can just concentrate them on next squares. There could be several problems with this - one problem is trafic jams on roads and railroads, but we could solve this similar as in Warlords 3. In W3, there can be only 9 units on one square at a time, but if other units are crossing the place, where these 9 units stand, they can just walk through
them. But they can't stop and stay on that square.

Units in this kind of system should be probably quite more expensive, so there would
be quite less of them on battlefield.