[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system

To: Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx>
Cc: Dalibor Perkoviæ <pdalibor@xxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:33:55 +0200

Marco Colombo wrote:

> And experience is not just being able to use your weapon better. I do hope
> my riflemen already know how to shoot when I send them to battle...
> they learned it while I was building the unit. Being in the battlefield
> is a completely different 'experience', you don't learn it without
> being there, and it should somewhat count in following battle. It does
> in RL, BTW.

There is also another thing - experienced people can teach other better.
We can just suppose that given unit replaces some people with time
(especially if it is alive for 1000 years :), but new people are trained
by ones that are experienced in battle.
There could be also a fame factor - for example if you are in very
famous unit you can have better morale, be more brave etc - only because
it is exactly the same unit which 100 years ago have won some very
important battle. Such units also tend to get better training and
equipment.

Give this factors I think it is perfectly all right to have veteran
status stay both when upgrading and not detoriate it with time.

Artur