[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system
From: "Dalibor Perković" <pdalibor@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:57:40 met

>well, it's some time I have played freeciv last time (2 months
>I guess), but as far as I can remember, you could repair unit
>anywhere with "s" command or in towns with "s" command.
>Repairing in towns was much quicker. So in replacement and
>elite replacement system, you could type "s" for replacement
>(or repair) and "Alt+s"  for elite replacement (or elite
>repair).

Er... Isn't "s" for "sentry" (meaning "don't blink that unit at me every goddamn
turn"). Units are (now) repaired simply by doing nothing, that is waiting. You
can also fortify it or press "space" every turn until you want to do something
else with it.

>No, I have never fired a rifle, nor a pistol ;). But, the
>idea, that a certain amount of experience is reduced when
>upgrading would solve this - I think it's not *so hard*
>to learn how to use a new weapon and sure soldier would be a
>bit less experienced with that weapon, but he will be still
>very experience (if he has been before).

Well, he can learn using a rifle, as settlers learn to use their new tools.
But battle experience is something really different, and includes knowledge
of not only using the tool but also avoiding the enemy using it on you. And
then, it differes for various weapons... We could put different exp loss for
different upgrades. For instance, phalanx->musketeers would loose a lot,
musketeers->riflemen
not so much, and then riflemen to partisans or alpine troops would loose less
than phalanx->musket but more than musket->rifle etc.
      ?
     /|\                           Izitpajn
    /?|\?                       pdalibor@xxxxxx

--