Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Apr 1999 09:33:04 +0200

Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I remember when this was discussed last, I suggested that the default flag for
> each race be initially selected by the client.  This way the only way you can
> lose your default flag is if you select another one first.

But I am concerned that somebody will choose the wrong flag for *his*
civilization; OK, everybody will use solid colors anyway. ;-)

Speaking of textual info, do clients really need to remember all those
city names?  What are they using city names for?  I think that they
are only used when building new cities, to suggest the name.  Then it
would be simpler not to transmit all the city names to the clients at
all: when you build a new city, the client contacts the server, which
returns the suggested name.  If we avoid city names, the race info
sent to the clients can be minimal.  And the "common city list" now
resides in the server, and can be customized easily.

Regards,
        Massimo