Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap -- mapstyle?

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap -- mapstyle?
From: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 22:09:38 +0000 (GMT)

> I'm curious about the long-range plans for the map style.  I see a discussion
> in
> the archive, but it doesn't look conclusive.  Are there any definite plans to
> convert to a Civ2-style "tilted" map?  Has the possibility of using a hexmap
> been discussed?

Hello Bobby,

        as Martin has said it's the one who codes decides. If you want use
an hex map, we will have to :
        - Add new functions which draw the map.
        - Add new functions for distance.
        - Gotohand will also need some change.
        - I'm afraid it woul imply lots of small changes in lots of place

        IMHO, the worst is that a hex game won't be compatible with a
square game. And, that is really bad.

        Now, I'd like very much to have a function with returns
a list of city either in a square draw on the minimap or on the global
map.

Best regards,