Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:51:35 +1000

David Pfitzner wrote:
> Massimo Campostrini wrote:
> > But I am concerned that somebody will choose the wrong flag for *his*
> > civilization;
>
> Well, if people want to be silly (choosing silly Race/flag combos)
> should we stop them?

I don't think so.

> Given that the default (sensible) flag will
> be auto-selected.  Someone once suggested they wanted to be
> able to have a choice of flags for a single race (eg Union
> Jack vs the strictly "English" cross (forget the name) vs
> King Arthurs dragon for the English), but you could also
> argue that those three cases could also be implemented as
> three separate races...

Why not have the client specify send the flag image (and all the other
racial specifics) back to the server to be distributed to the other players
as necessary. That way players could design their own personal flags, etc,
or their own weird races. There would be a set of (standard?) flags to be
used as defaults and for AI players, which could be stored by the server. I
see two main problems - how to deal with the possiblity of two player having
flags which are identical or too similar, and how to deal with players using
different client resolutions.

> >  Then it
> > would be simpler not to transmit all the city names to the clients at
> > all: when you build a new city, the client contacts the server, which
> > returns the suggested name.
>
> Yes, that would work.

This could work the same way - when a client creates a new city it could
query the server for a default name or send a user specified one.

Regards,
Steve Hodge